It would be amazing if every day was a good hair day. Fortunately, if you practice good hair habits, this can become a reality. Your hair is bombarded by the elements constantly, and just like anything else, without proper care, your hair will suffer. In this article we share tips that will help to keep your hair healthy, lustrous, and happy.
1) Wash your hair the right way. Washing your hair to much strips the natural oils in your hair, leaving it weak and vulnerable.
- When you do wash your hair, message the shampoo (not conditioner) onto your scalp, as this will help to increase circulation and lower the risk of dandruff.
- When conditioning, rub the conditioner from the tips of your hair to the roots. For softer hair, leave the conditioner in for a few minutes before rinsing. Use a moisturizing conditioner after every wash to control frizz.
- Wash your hair on the coldest water setting you are comfortable in. Many people do not like cold showers, but using cold water on your hair seals the hair cuticles and locks in moisture, keeping your hair healthier and shinier.
- Use a Clarifying shampoo at least once a month. This will help to eliminate product build up.
2) Dry your hair with caution. Blow dryers can be a blessing and a curse. Ensure you are drying correctly to maintain a healthy head of hair.
- When using a dryer, be sure to put it on the cool setting. Hot air can heat up the water trapped in your follicles, causing it to damage your hair. To much hot air can also dry out your hair, leaving it brittle and frizzy.
- Do not wring out your wet hair. Wet hair is fragile and can break easily. It is best to either pat dry, air dry, or blow dry.
- Never brush your wet hair. Wet hair has more stretch, and is more prone to break. It is best practice to use a wide-tooth comb through your hair when it is wet.
3) Use caution when styling your hair. We all want the perfect hair style. Sometimes to achieve this, we tend to ignore our hair health and practice some bad habits.
- Avoid tight hair ties and braids as much as possible. Tight hair tends to increase friction and cause breakage. Practice creating loose braids, and when using hair ties, try to use scrunchies or ties wrapped in cloth.
- Don’t tease your hair. Teasing your hair can increase volume, but it can also ruin your hair texture.
- Use the right styling products. If you have to use styling products, try to use ones that have a finish. If you need hair spray, find a flexible-hold hairspray product.
- When using styling tools, such as flat irons, be sure to use the lowest heat settings to avoid damaging your hair.
- Avoid DAILY heat styling.
4) Practice good habits when sleeping. Everyone loves sleep, but your hair can be damaged if you do not take precaution during nap time.
- Do not sleep with wet hair. Wet hair is very fragile and breaks easily, and the friction between your hair and the pillow can cause breakage.
- If you can, try to sleep on satin pillow covers, as this reduces friction and breakage.
4) Eat healthy. Always remember, what goes into your body has an effect on your hair.
- Certain nutrients like vitamins, iron and proteins are very essential for your hair growth and health.
- Some of the best foods for healthy hair include fish, nuts, seeds, vegetables, eggs, yogurts, beans, and water.
Practice these tips and your on your way to stronger, healthier, and happy hair!
Have some tips or best practices you use that you want to share? Leave a comment below!